The House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 has received Top Sparkling Wine in the prestigious Decanter Magazine Wine of the Year 2020 Tasting.
After twenty-five years of belief, hard work and building brand ‘House of Arras’ along with its excellent reputation, Ed Carr is riding high on a win that was “totally unexpected”.
The House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 was awarded an Outstanding Classification with an impressive 96 points by the fine wine judging panel, chosen above sparkling wines from around the world, including Champagne.
“A win like this has a global impact. A key issue for us when we started in 1995 was to make a world class sparkling wine that exhibited our House’s style as well as the Tasmanian terroir,” said Carr, Australia’s most awarded sparkling winemaker.
“House of Arras was born from a vision to create an Australian sparkling wine on parity with the world’s finest champagnes and sparkling wines. Today’s Decanter Magazine announcement reinforces this vision and is proof that the world’s best sparkling can be found right here in Tasmania.”
The Decanter Magazine Top 100 wines of the year are judged by some of the most revered wine experts from around the world. The wines that make this list every year are subject to a rigorous tasting process in order to crown the winners.
“While we have done exceptionally well in other wine shows, this win is the icing on the cake. We are absolutely ecstatic about the whole thing,” said Carr.
While the team at House of Arras have known about the win for some time, they have had to remain ‘shtum’ but Carr says it’s ‘party time’ today to coincide with the news being made public. To celebrate, Carr and his team will have a look at the prize winning wine.
“We still have some in Australia so we’ll have to have a look at that and then we’ll see what else we have,” said Carr.
“Tasmanian wine can be aged but remains fresh and vibrant and that’s a key part of our winemaking.”
House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 is the ultimate expression of the House of Arras journey. Made from the noble grape varieties of prestige sparkling wine, sourced from exceptional cold climate Tasmanian vineyards, this wine exhibits all the elegance, power and vibrancy that are the hallmarks of world class premium sparkling wine. A mix of 69% Chardonnay and 31% Pinot Noir, this wine has spent an 13 years on tirage and takes Australian sparkling to a level of texture and complexity.
Carr is Australia’s most awarded sparkling winemaker, and House of Arras is Australia’s most awarded sparkling wine brand with 96 trophies and 246 gold medals received across the domestic and international wine show circuits. Recently House of Arras Grand Vintage 2009 and Blanc de Blancs NV were included in esteemed wine expert James Halliday’s Top 100 Australian wines for 2020, awarded 97 points and 94 points respectively.
Further cementing its reputation for crafting world-class sparkling wine, this month House of Arras was also awarded four Gold Medals at the 2020 Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships across its collection, including E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004.
At the 2018 Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships, Carr received the Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his unparalleled expertise and contribution to the sparkling wine industry. Carr is the only non-champenois winemaker to ever receive this award, testament to House of Arras sparkling wines’ consistent high quality, level of complexity and remarkable longevity.
The House of Arras vintage collection is available at fine wine retailers nationally and online at www.houseofarras.com.au.
The Top Sparkling Wine in Decanter‘s Wine of the Year 2020 Tasting – House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 – is available in strictly limited supply.
House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 RRP $265.99
House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged Magnum 2004 RRP $399.00 (1.5L)
For more information on House of Arras, visit: www.houseofarras.com.au
Most recent awards across the House of Arras sparkling wine range include:
- ‘Sparkling Wine of the Year’ at the 2020 Decanter Magazine Awards, awarded Outstanding Classification with 96 Points – House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004
- 2020 Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships: House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 (Gold Medal), House of Arras Blanc de Blancs 2009 (Gold Medal), House of Arras Rosé 2008 (Gold Medal) and House of Arras Brut Elite Cuvee No. 1501 (Gold Medal)
- James Halliday’s Top 100: House of Arras Grand Vintage 2009 (97 Points) and Blanc de Blancs NV (94 points)
- 2021 Halliday Wine Companion Awards: ‘Australia’s Best Sparkling Wine’ and 99 Points – House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2005; House of Arras Rosé 2009 (98 Points), House of Arras Brut Elite Cuvée No.1501 (95 Points)
- 2020 Halliday Wine Companion Awards: ‘Australia’s Best Sparkling Wine’ – House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004
- 2019 Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships: ‘Best Australian Sparkling Wine’ and ‘Best in Category Australia Classic Blend NV- House of Arras Brute Elite Cuvée 1501
- 2018 Halliday Wine Companion: ‘Best Sparkling Wine’ – House of Arras Rosé 2007
- 2018 Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships: ‘Best Australian Brut Vintage’ – House of Arras E J Carr Late Disgorged Vintage Magnum 2002; ‘Best Australian Magnum’ – House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged Vintage Magnum 2002; Gold – House of Arras Museum Release Blanc de Blancs 2001; Gold – House of Arras E.J. Carr Late Disgorged Vintage 2002; and Gold – House of Arras Grand Vintage 2008
- 2018 Sydney Royal Wine Show: ‘Best Sparkling Trophy’ – House of Arras Grand Vintage 2008
- 2017 Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth Royal Wine Shows: ‘Best Sparkling Trophy’ – House of Arras Grand Vintage 2008