Victoria’s Stomping Ground is the winner of Beer & Brewer’s Top 50 Brewpubs for 2017.
Open for just over 12 months, the brewpub’s founders, Guy Greenstone and Steve Jeffares, are the team behind the GABS festival.
“We’re absolutely stoked to receive the award,” Greenstone told Beer & Brewer. “It’s really exciting that people are enjoying what we’re doing.”
When asked what sets Stomping Ground apart, Greenstone said: “I hope it’s about the overall experience, which is something that’s really important to us. So a combination of great beer but really friendly, knowledgeable staff who really are passionate about what we do and live and breathe our beer as well as our brand. And then of course the look and feel of the place and making it nice and warm and welcoming, and a place that is really inclusive rather than exclusive.”
The list was compiled by 25 industry experts, including Ian Kingham, Matt Kirkegaard, Kirrily Waldhorn and Tim Charody. Each expert voted for their five favourite brewpubs, based on a range of factors such as the quality of beers, service, staff knowledge and venue atmosphere.
The Top 10 Brewpubs for 2017 are:
1. Stomping Ground, Collingwood VIC
2. The Wheatsheaf Hotel, Thebarton SA
3. Wayward Brewing Co, Camperdown NSW
4. FogHorn Brewhouse, Newcastle NSW
5. 4 Pines, Manly NSW
6. Feral Brewing Co., Perth WA
7. BentSpoke Brewing Co, Braddon ACT
8. The Lord Nelson Brewery, The Rocks NSW
9. Stone & Wood Brewing Co, Byron Bay NSW
10. The Public Brewery, Croydon VIC
The complete list of the top 50 brewpubs, together with judges’ comments, can be found in the Spring Issue of Beer & Brewer.