Vinexpo; coronavirus

Two more wine expos fall victim to coronavirus

March 4, 2020
By Alana House

Following the news that ProWein 2020 has been postponed, the dates for two additional wine expos – Vinitaly and VinExpo Hong Kong – have also been moved.

ProWein 2020 was scheduled to take place from March 15–17, with new dates still to be set.

Europe’s largest wine fair draws more than 60,000 visitors to Düsseldorf and was expected to feature 6900 exhibitors from across the globe.

Prowein cancelled; coronavirus

Earlier this month, Wine Australia revealed it was returning to ProWein 2020 with its biggest contingent ever – 96 producers, a diverse range of more than 500 wines and an exciting program of events.

Vignerons from 32 regions across Australia were expected to pour their wines at the event.  

ProWein organisers noted: “We are following the recommendation of the crisis management team of the German government to take into account the principles of the Robert Koch Institute when making a risk assessment of major events.

“On the basis of this recommendation and the recent significant increase in the number of infected persons, including in Europe, Messe Düsseldorf has reassessed the situation. Added to this is the uncertainty of numerous exhibitors and visitors at ProWein and the complicated travel situation, especially for international customers.”

Vinitaly; coronavirus

The organisers of Vinitaly announced this week that they too will postpone their trade show, moving it from April 19-23 to June 13-17.

Last year, Vinitaly hosted 4600 exhibitors and almost 125,000 visitors from 145 countries.

“Vinitaly, together with OperaWine, will therefore take place in a context when the great occasions for the excellence of Made in Italy will have the task of refocusing the attention of international markets and the image of Italy,” said Giovanni Mantovani, CEO of organizer Veronafiere, in a statement.

Vinexpo Hong Kong has announced that it will move its 2020 event to July 8-10, from the previous date of May 26-28.

Vinexpo said feedback from exhibitors was clear that the show should be pushed back, adding that “a significant portion of companies have confirmed their participation on the new dates.”

“The response of the industry was clear that Vinexpo Hong Kong should be rescheduled but remain in the first half of 2020, a statement from Vinexpo said.

“This was to mitigate the health and safety risks, but also to continue to allow for a meeting point as soon as possible, so exhibitors and attendees would have the opportunity to reinvigorate activity in the region.

“We are pleased to serve such a close-knit community that was able to tell us exactly what they need as an industry.

“The organisers are responding to direct exhibitor feedback requesting the change and are seeking to provide the best conditions for all to support the industry’s business development in Asia-Pacific.”

Share the content

Related Posts