ProWein cancelled due to coronavirus fears

March 2, 2020
By Alana House

Messe Düsseldorf GmbH is postponing ProWein 2020, which was scheduled to take place from March 15–17, due to concerns over the recent coronavirus outbreak.

Europe’s largest wine fair draws more than 60,000 visitors to Düsseldorf and was expected to feature 6900 exhibitors from across the globe.

Earlier this month, Wine Australia revealed it was returning to ProWein 2020 with its biggest contingent ever – 96 producers, a diverse range of more than 500 wines and an exciting program of events.

Vignerons from 32 regions across Australia were expected to pour their wines at the event.  

ProWein is currently discussing an alternative date in close coordination with all partners involved.

The organisers noted: “We are following the recommendation of the crisis management team of the German government to take into account the principles of the Robert Koch Institute when making a risk assessment of major events.

“On the basis of this recommendation and the recent significant increase in the number of infected persons, including in Europe, Messe Düsseldorf has reassessed the situation. Added to this is the uncertainty of numerous exhibitors and visitors at ProWein and the complicated travel situation, especially for international customers.”

Werner M. Dornscheidt, CEO of Messe Düsseldorf GmbH added: “Our customers, partners and employees trust us. Not only when it comes to the professional and successful handling of major international events in Düsseldorf. They can also have this trust in us when we make decisions about critical situations in the interests of their safety.”

“This decision was not an easy one for all concerned,” said Thomas Geisel, Lord Mayor of the City of Düsseldorf and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Messe Düsseldorf GmbH.

“But the postponement at the present time is necessary for Messe Düsseldorf and its customers in view of the increasingly dynamic developments.” 

Blow for Australian winemakers

Wine Australia was planning to run 12 on-stand events at ProWein, including ‘Iconic Shiraz’ presented by Henschke winemaker and family member Johann Henschke, ‘Sparkling Australia’ by Thomas Curtius MW and ‘Margaret River – a look at our iconic Chardonnays’ by Madeleine Stenwreth MW, plus a master class in the Forum in Hall 10, ‘McLaren Vale – championing sustainability’ by Sarah Ahmed, The Wine Detective.

Prowein cancelled

Producers returning to ProWein to showcase new releases and the latest vintages were expected to include d’Arenberg, Gemtree Wines Organic and Biodynamic, Jim Barry Wines, Kay Brothers, Langmeil and more. Exhibiting on Wine Australia’s stand for the first time are Henschke, Kangarilla Road, Lambert Estate Wines, Maxwell Wines, Mitolo Wines and Seppeltsfield amongst others.

Wine Australia’s Chief Executive Officer, Andreas Clark said ProWein is one of the biggest and most important events in Wine Australia’s global calendar.

“Australia’s presence at the renowned ProWein Düsseldorf has grown in significance over the years and we’ve seen a repeat crowd of trade and industry that are highly engaged in fine Australian wine,” he noted earlier this month.

From 13 brands in 2010 to 96 brands in 2020, the Wine Australia stand at ProWein has grown significantly over the last decade.

The Clare Valley’s Taylors Wines and Kilikanoon Wines both received Best of Show Australia trophies in the 26th annual Mundus Vini Grand International Wine Awards and were due to receive the awards at ProWein on March 15.

We will continue to update readers on future plans for ProWein as details become available.

Share the content

Related Posts