An incredibly rare beauty
Earlier this year, GlenDronach Distillery released The GlenDronach Aged 50 Years, an incredible rare beauty crafted after years of endeavour, care and commitment.
One of the oldest licensed distilleries in Scotland, The GlenDronach Distillery was established in 1826 and it specialises in crafting Highland Single Malt whiskies aged in rare Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso sherry casks.
The 50 year old whisky sells for a breathtaking $40,000 with just 198 bottles around the world.
Master Blender, Rachel Barrie, says, “I have personally selected two exquisite Pedro Ximénez and Orloroso from 1971, marrying them together for final maturation in a single Pedro Ximénez cask, to create this prestigious Single Malt expression.”
To herald its release, Brown Forman hosted a very special dinner at Bennelong at the Sydney Opera House earlier this season.
Stewart Buchanan, Global Malts Brand Ambassador for Brown Forman, gallantly talked his guests through the whisky tasting, a hoarse throat notwithstanding. He had dug deep into the cellar and the team at Brown-Forman pulled out the polished crystal for a stunning evening.
- Course One was accompanied by The GlenDronach 30 Years, PX Cask 9333. Retailing for around $1300.
- Course Two: The GlenDronach 28 Years, Oloroso Cask 2623. Retailing for around $800.
- Course Three: The GlenDronach Master Vintage 1993. (This is Master Blender’s, Rachel Barrie’s first whisky in which she mixed three casks together. Retailing for $600.)
- Course Four: Australian Cheese with The GlenDronach Grandeur 24 Years.
Special mention must go to the kitchen at Bennelong. The food was, as ever, spectacular and resonated perfectly with the stunning whiskies shared with us. And we certainly gave thanks to the dish-hands responsible for washing up all of those crystal glasses.
If ever you get the chance to share in a bottle of GlenDronach, say yes. It does not have to be the bottle for $40,000. And it probably will not be given they are so rare. But each liquid is a story of its own and is truly, something special.
- The GlenDronach Aged 12 Years: ABV 43 per cent. Retails for around $105.
- The GlenDronach Revival Aged 15 Years: ABV 46 per cent. Retails for around $150.
- The GlenDronach Allardice Aged 18 Years: ABV 46 per cent. Retails for around $270
- The GlenDronach Parliament Aged 21 Years: ABV 48 per cent. Retails for around $330.