Coca-Cola Amatil (Amatil) has committed to achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2040. It’s just one of ten sustainability objectives included in the drinks giant’s 2020- 2040 Sustainability Ambitions.
Highlights from the plan include released on Tuesday include:
- 100% renewable electricity in Australia and New Zealand by 2025
- Reduction of sugar (grams per 100ml) across non-alcoholic beverages portfolio of 35% in Indonesia and 20% in Australia and New Zealand by 2025
- Partnering for pack-to-pack recycling solutions in all countries where CCA operate by 2030 and designing for 100% recyclability across all packaging
- Sustain net zero water operations
After releasing a set of sustainability strategies and public goals in 2018 to be achieved by the end of 2020, the business saw it as vital that it focus on the next phase of its sustainability journey, with sharp focus on where the biggest impact can be made.
Group Managing Director Alison Watkins said, “We’re proud of Amatil’s sustainability achievements to date, and this bold new set of sustainability ambitions will challenge us even further to deliver more positive outcomes over the next critically important twenty years.
“We’ve made solid progress against our 2020 Sustainability Goals, and through this process and extensive engagement with our many stakeholders, we’ve developed a set of ambitions that have been prioritised based on stakeholder expectations and where Amatil can make the greatest difference.”
Highlights to date include:
- a ten per cent sugar reduction (grams per 100ml) in Australia, 50 per cent
- 50 per cent recycled PET in Amatil’s portfolio
- commissioning Phase 1 of South East Asia’s largest rooftop solar system in Cibitung, Indonesia
- best employer accreditation for the fifth consecutive year in New Zealand
The 2020-2040 Sustainability Ambitions are designed with a view to making a distinct and positive contribution to the communities and markets in which Amatil operates.
The objectives range across four priority areas – water, consumer wellbeing, packaging and carbon reduction – and the plan is underpinned by a series of roadmaps and targets to provide a pathway to delivery and ensure the ambitions are embedded within the business.
The ambitions align with The Coca-Cola Company’s (TCCC) broader sustainability priorities and strategies, including TCCC’s Science-Based Target of 25% carbon reduction by 2030 (compared to 2015) and its 2030 World Without Waste program.
2020-2040 Sustainability Ambitions Priority ambitions include:
- Net zero water by 2020:
- Consumer wellbeing by 2025:
- Closing the loop on packaging by 2030:
- Net zero carbon emissions by 2040
Further ambitions include:
- deliver positive impacts for communities where Amatil has a presence
- to achieve a zero-harm workplace
- to create a diverse workforce reflective of the communities it services
- to build brand partnerships aligned with sustainability ambitions and strategies
- a continued responsible sourcing commitment,
to building a shared sustainability vision with Amatil customers.