The week's top 10 drinks stories
Asahi turned its focus to spirits, Endeavour Drinks Group customers hit by a double-billing error, Diageo's CEO takes a massive pay cut and more.
1. Asahi expanded its spirits portfolio
Asahi Premium Beverages started taking orders on Monday for its newly acquired spirits brands from ASM - Vodka O, Tequila Blu, Spicebox Whisky and VDKA 6100.
2. BWS and Dan Murphy's were hit by a double-billing error
Endeavour Drinks Group customers were affected by the Woolworths credit card double-billing error.
3. Piper-Heidsieck switched to brown champagne bottles
The iconic green bottle of Champagne is facing extinction as the major brands move to brown glass to avoid their products being affected by "lightstrike".
4. Australia won Gold at 2017 Organic Wine Awards
The Organic Wine Awards saw Tamburlaine Organic Wines, Stefano Lubiana Wines and Angove Family Winemakers win three gold medals each!
5. A Dom Perignon vending machine debuted in Melbourne
Just when you thought vending machines couldn't get any fancier, Melbourne restaurant Vue de Monde has installed one that dispenses Dom Perignon.
6. An Aussie created "smart kegs" to revolutionise brewing
Binary Beer is in talks with major brewers, including Heineken and AB InBev, about the potential applications of its beer keg sensors.
7. A CEO was announced for Exchange for Change
NSW container deposit co-ordinator Exchange for Change has appointed Peter Bruce as its CEO.
Meanwhile, Four Corners screened a special report on recycling issues in NSW.
8. Broo announced a $1.8million profit shortfall
Beer company Broo Ltd posted a $1.8million shortfall in cash flow for the three months to June.
9. Diageo's CEO and CFO took hefty pay cuts
Diageo CEO Ivan Menezes had his pay cut by 35% and Chief financial officer Kathy Mikells had her salary slashed by 50% as a result of missing long-term targets in the company’s most recent fiscal results.
10. Heineken revealed its shifting dollars from TV to Google and Facebook
It says the digital platforms are the new preferred way to reach mass audiences.